Monday, November 11, 2019

Effect of Quotas and Tariffs on U.S. Steel Imports and Exports

Quotas, which are defined as a limited quantity of a particular product that can be produced, imported, or exported, are generally used to provide support for domestic producers. This can be seen in the U.S. steel industry in which there are not only quotas but also tariffs. Quotas set by President Trump are supposed to discourage imports and encourage exports and domestic consumption. They are, however, doing the opposite. According to the article, the U.S has imported 15.9 million tons of steel from January through August, a 4% increase from the full year of 2018. With these protectionist measures in place, some companies are moving out of countries that are subject to tariffs, i.e. China, to countries that aren't, i.e. Vietnam or Malaysia. According to John Anton, an associate director with IHS Markit, China and India are creating a global surplus of steel and the oversupply won't be corrected unless these two countries cut their output. This is beneficial to steel buyers but bad for steelmakers. 
Meanwhile, the domestic market for US-made steel isn't performing well. After an original increase in price from $600-$900 per ton of hot rolled steel, prices have fallen to less than $500 a ton. Immediately after the tariffs by Trump were enacted, U.S. producers began creating new capacity. This caused the prices to increase to levels that weren't sustainable over a long period of time. This caused imports to increase. Demand has faltered in 2019 and domestic steel price is now lower than import prices for many of the products it creates. 
Scrap metal is also hitting a roadblock. Used as a key raw material for U.S. mini-mills, scrap metal demand has decreased exceptionally. Rising scrap prices would justify price increases for finished products, but this just isn't happening. These tariffs and quotas are causing U.S. companies to lose business. Jimmy Lyons, CEO of the Alabama State Port Authority, says that "there's no question we've lost business and the state of Alabama has lost export markets due to U.S. steel tariffs. Some of this loss was initially attributed to the tariffs against Mexico and Canada, but even with those duties now lifted, the business doesn't seem to have come back". 

3 comments:

  1. Do you think the reason they have a surplus of steal is because of these quotas? That countries like us are trying to get into that market by putting quotas on our goods incentivizing exports but not imports thus creating a surplus? It would also not be good if a large country imposed a quota because this would affect world prices as they would fall due to the overabundance of supply--which I believe is what we're seeing here.

    I also think it's counter-intuitive for Trump to impose quoatas and tariffs if he's trying to increase the production of steal as we know that tariffs would increase the domestic price... and to top it off, quotas and tariffs act similarly, thus producing a drastic effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halo,I'm Helena Julio from Ecuador,I want to talk good about Le_Meridian Funding Service on this topic.Le_Meridian Funding Service gives me financial support when all bank in my city turned down my request to grant me a loan of 500,000.00 USD, I tried all i could to get a loan from my banks here in Ecuador but they all turned me down because my credit was low but with god grace I came to know about Le_Meridian so I decided to give a try to apply for the loan. with God willing they grant me  loan of 500,000.00 USD the loan request that my banks here in Ecuador has turned me down for, it was really awesome doing business with them and my business is going well now. Here is Le_Meridian Funding Investment Email/WhatsApp Contact if you wish to apply loan from them.Email:lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.comWhatsApp Contact:+1-989-394-3740.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT TESTIMONY HOW I GOT MY LOAN I have a very important message to share with everyone that is in need of a loan from a genuine lender. I'm happy to share this note with everyone after what myself and my wife went through in the hands of some pathetic hoodlums claiming to offer some sort of loans. It's very difficult to get a genuine lender and thanks to Best Loan lender who helped me with the loan, Contact them if you are in need of a loan and come back to thank me later. I promise you they will not disappoint you. contact Email:- (pedroloanss@gmail.com Whatsapp +18632310632) Thanks.
    Nazgul William.....

    ReplyDelete