Friday, December 6, 2013

Lessons Learned

Coming into this class I may have had some preformed opinions on international trade, mainly that cheap Chinese goods were going to hurt our economy. However in having Professor Bang for principles i knew i couldn't come into class and blindly argue from this perspective. Keeping as open a mind as possible in this class led me to some completely reversed thinking on several issues. The first of these issues that comes to mind is that overall, countries cannot me made worse off from trade from the Ricardian Model. This theory and others like it that we learned in the class led me to think of the economy in a more global sense. A single country can be as efficient as possible within their own borders but in the global economy we have today, that country will still be negatively impacted by the inefficiency of the other countries. My point is, is that I now look at the global economy and the need for efficiency amongst all countries of the world. How do we make this global economy as efficient as possible? I don't know but i do know/think now that we need to be mindful of the efficiency of the gobal economy and not just individual countries, or individual groups in those countries. I think one point in the class where i realized i needed to re-evaluate my stance occured when I realized I was agreeing with the unions in that we should restrict "cheaper" imports to save American jobs, well unfortunately for them, losing their jobs may be best for global efficiency.
Another valuable lesson I learned this semester was not to jump to conclusions but to realize every effect has a magnifying effect, meaning a change in one thing will cause changes in other things, even if those other things are seemingly unrelated; but its important to slow down and really think things through.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you that not only should we pay attention to the efficiency of individual countries, but we also must focus on the global economy. Nonetheless, I think it is normal to agree that a country take some methods to protect their own benefit. It is difficult to come up with some measures that can protect own benefit as well as not hurt others’ interest.

    During learning this class, a lot of theories have assumptions and some of them are not realistic. Hence, when analyzing the practical problems, I should combine with actual situation so that I can get some useful conclusions or solutions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with you said 'not to jump to conclusions but to realize every effect'. After this semester, I harvested a lot. I never knew there are so many theories about international trade. What impressed me most is chapter 8(tariff &quotas). I knew why many rich countries were willing to set a serious tariff to developing countries, because they usually lost less than the developing countries. Moreover, although China is narrowly a large country, but it still faces many internal and external problems in the future. As for me, I'm looking forward to learn further about international economy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned a lot through this class. After a semester's study of international economic. I begin to look at the world trade in different aspects while I might just see the bad side or the good side of the trade. And I also learn many models to describe the world trade. I hope I can use what I learn in the coming future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have also learned a lot over the semester. Although it may have been frustrating at times, the coursework from this class has definitely helped me grow intellectually. To be honest, at first I did not have a vast knowledge with regards to global trade whatsoever. I would have to agree with you that I also felt that things such as cheap labor from developing countries was hurting our own economy; to look back on that now, it seems like a juvenile assumption! Although I feel that it is important to keep in mind that many of the models discussed in the book require a lot of built-in assumptions, it seems as if they prove for a good set of fundamentals when studying international trade.

    ReplyDelete